Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I do...I don't...

Ding-dong DOMA is dead! I'm still celebrating the Supreme Court's ruling that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. I agree: the state can't marry some but not others based on gender. And I'm over the moon for the men and women I know,  as well as those I don't know, who are now free to tie the knot. 

For those who choose to marry, best wishes

For those who don't, welcome to the emerging majority!

More U.S. adults opt out of marriage
As reported by The Economist, the marriage rate is way down in the United States. Since 1960 to December 2011, the ranks of the married have slid from 72% to 51% of U.S. adults, while the never-married portion of the population has nearly doubled, from 15% to 28% of U.S. adults. Racially, today's paper-thin married majority of 51% breaks down to 55% of whites, 48% of HIspanics and 31% of blacks. If current population growth for people of color holds, the marriage majority will evaporate very soon.

Makes perfect sense to me.



No comments: